17 Dec 2014

Swapping mug rugs

It's been a long time since I was part of a swap. Life's been getting in the way, and losing my sewing room has made much more effort required for sewing to occur. When Angie launched a mug rug swap though, I thought I could probably manage it.

(A mug rug is a very small quilt, just big enough for a mug of coffee and perhaps a small plate. I like using them for my water bottle.)

That was before I got my swap partner. I was thrilled when I saw who my recipient would be. Then I started getting scared, because this quilter's very talented, organised and a prize winner.

So I put off starting, although was drawing up plans, most involving fussy cutting from my large collection of Christmas prints. Last week was when I planned to actually start, but I hit a snag when I couldn't find my fabric. I still can't find it.

Obviously, I changed the plan. Instead, I wanted a create an idealised version of a camping Christmas. It's one of our favourite things to do for the festive season, but is rarely as picturesque as I imagine.

It's a very simple quilt, with the silhouetted campsite vleisofixed onto my sky background. I didn't actually stitch around the image, as I thought given the heavy quilting I landed, and the end use of the quilt I thought it would be ok.

I'm pleased with the mug rug, and hope the recipient likes it too.




I'm looking forward to receiving my mug rug from my other, as yet unknown swap partner.

No comments: