5 May 2014

Of homework and hankies

Our son has started receiving online homework - which seems like a great idea. Can't be lost, easy to access etc. There's a chat type option, so the class members can email each other. It's fairly slow, since their typing is fairly slow. Still.

It's reminded me of all those child internet safety guidelines - keeping the computer in a public place, and so on. Our computer lives in the 4th bedroom of our home, sharing the space with the sewing room, and general home office things.

So, we're rearranging. There's no longer going to be a dedicated sewing space, but I'll be putting all my crafting supplies into the wardrobe of this 4th room. We're removing extra cupboards out of this room, along with the computer desk, sewing table and maybe the filing cabinet.

The family room currently contains 2 large bookcases, a couch, and our gaming systems and tv. We're getting rid of the couch (since it won't fit down the hallway anyway) and moving all the rest into the 4th room.

We've also acquired a daybed with trundle which will serve as a couch for gaming/DVD watching and as spare bedding space.

It's such a big job, with so many steps. Ideally, I'd like to paint the bedroom while it's empty. I'd also like to be done by the time I start my block of work, in around 3 weeks time.

I'm trying to declutter and organise as I'm moving stuff, but it's taking time. And lots of mental and physical energy. Last week I was so annoyed with the whole process that I was driven to rationalise my underwear drawers. (Quick, useful, achievable task!).

In and under the drawers were some of my handkerchief collection, most of which I inherited from my Mama. I washed them all up on the weekend, and then they served very nicely as a calming down task for a grumpy child. Who asked if they could it again, next time they're grumpy.

And that's how my children's school homework policy has led to this lovely stack of freshly ironed hankies.





2 comments:

Olivia said...

I'm 39 and I think I need someone to set me a calming down task occasionally!

Michelle said...

I find ironing hankies calms me down too! It's my favourite chore to do (never seems like a chore)