17 Aug 2012

Ducks on the wall aka Grandma's Hallway

My second entry in the recent quilt show was a miniature.  It measures 25 x 35cm, and is a representation of china ducks flying across the vast spaces of my grandparents heavily wallpapered hallway.


The fabric I chose for the 'wallpaper' is a Jinny Beyer print which has been in my stash for a very long time.  In fact, the selvedge says it is called "Millennium", so it can probably be date to 1999.  It's quite heavily machine quilted following the pattern of the fabric, although this is pretty much invisible in these pictures.

I didn't have any ducks, nor any confidence in the idea of making a duck shape so instead fussy cut these pukeko's from some souvenir fabric I bought in New Zealand.  In any case, I think they look far funkier than any duck could.



I also tried something new when it came to binding the quilt - a facing, as explained here by Brenda Smith of Serendipity Patchwork & Quilting.  It worked really well, and I was pleased with finish this gave.

It was lovely to see it hanging in the exhibition.

And I have hung the china ducks in our bedroom, where they look quite unlike this little quilt.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I loved this quilt. A really clever use of background fabric.

And thanks for that link - I've been wondering how to do that kind of backing!

Lynne said...

I love it!

Posie Patchwork said...

Love it & so totally like my grandmother's hall way too, the flying ducks, oh they were so hideous at the time but classic now, love Posie

Olivia said...

Very cool and funny. Nice twist on the traditional ducks!