8 Feb 2012

Summer's End

The summer holidays are over.  The last week of the school break was spent decluttering, cleaning and tidying.  My husband was away for work, and the children watched a movie each morning.  The house looks fabulous.  Comparatively, of course.

More to the point, I think the reorganising we've done will help keep the family going in a logical and tidy way.

The main stimulus for this orgy of organising was the visit of my uncle and aunt.  We don't see them often, but love to catch up.  They stayed with us on Saturday night, and we hosted a family dinner for our local relatives.  It was great.  Dinner for 15, and it all went well.  Lovely to talk and share pictures and memories.

On the last day of the children's school holidays, we visited the Zoo.  I haven't been there for a few years now, and was very impressed with the improvements they've made.  In fact, we joined as members so will be visiting again soon.


I have fallen behind in my obligations to Simplify Your Life. I was overwhelmed by the idea of making a family mission statement... and panicked.  I still haven't done a mission statement, but believe I have clarified more in my mind our goals.

So for the next month the goals I will be working on are

*  keeping the new school stuff organisation system going.
*  trying out one new recipe a week.
*  making time to make things EVERY day.
*  participate in #talknt on twitter each week. 

Not in this list but still worth noting because we do them and they are good;
*  menu planning and shopping with a list.
*  seeing family.
*  enjoying the outdoors.

School has been back for two days now - the children are enjoying it, and have shown no reluctance to go.  It's great!

6 comments:

Lynne said...

What a great way to end the holidays and start a new school year!

Casojaha said...

a new recipe a week is a good idea! We get stuck with the same old stuff all the time and it's so hard to keep the kids excited about dinner!

Annaleis @ Teapots and Tractors said...

I agree that a new recipe each week is a great idea! Hope you dont mind if I steal that idea! Glad that you didn't give up at the mission statement and kept writing! Goodluck with the next challenge!

kreategirl said...

New recipe every week - love that plan. Tastespotting.com has a wealth of ideas.

Deb @ home life simplified said...

Great goals and welcome back!

The way i finally learned how to cook more foods was aiming for 1-2 new recipes each week and it took me from a repertoire of 10-12 recipes to between 40-50 now! it also made me use all those clipped recipes i love to collect but was not using enough.

Kristy @SeeMyFootprints said...

Yes, you have to start somewhere. I am having a hard time figuring out where to start... because there IS so much to do. Good luck for you and yours :)