1 Jan 2012

New Year!

We celebrated New Year's Eve with a bushwalk and barbecue dinner.  Walking from my parents place, we were in the bush, and spotting a snake within 10 minutes.  Fortunately, the snake wriggled away very quickly, and we could enjoy the wonderful day.

It was just lovely down by the river, and we met a suprising number of fellow bushwalkers.  Unfortunately, when we reached the traditional barbecue spot, the fireplaces had been removed by the local council.  Being law abiding types, we walked on.  We explored  a paperbark forest, licked mangrove leaves and then climbed many, many steps to reach the next barbecue spot.  This lofty spot required no wood, being all electric, and had a splendid view over the river.  Perfect.

I've been considering plans and goals for 2012.  This year, I'm trying to focus on value.  Spending time doing things I value.  I don't value cleaning or housework, but completing them gives me the physical and mental space to create.  So these tasks do have value.  I also have value.  I deserve nice things, including clothes that fit. I deserve time to spend on things I like. Having these things mean I find it easier to be kind.

To try and achieve these things, I'll be following along with Debra of Home Life Simplified on her 52 week challenge.

At the risk of overcommitting, I'm also planning to work along with AJ in her 12WIPs in 2012 challenge.  I have plenty of Works In Progress to choose from, so will be evaluating these over the next few days as we unpack and rearrange after our Christmas break.

3 comments:

Deb @ home life simplified said...

I am so happy to have you on board with the 52 week challenge! Your reasons and your focus resonate with me and fit in great!

Your bush walk sounds incredible - one of my missed goals this year was getting out into nature with the kids every month for bushwalks etc (we managed about 3 or 4 though)

Lynne said...

Sounds like a lovely way to spend the day.

Thanks for the links to two interesting sites.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Posie Patchwork said...

Happy New Year Leah!! Shame about your BBQ missing - i've heard the queues for BBQs (working ones) at Weston Park are isnanely long too on public holidays & events. I could never take the risk, my children love their meat & would die of hunger!!
Happy bush walking, such a great time of year for the exercise, oh & the snakes. We always find massive Eastern Grey kangaroos on our bush walks (Gungahlin) & smile & keep walking as i know they could really hurt us!! Love Posie