14 Aug 2011

Quilt show time


Over the weekend, my quilt "Home sweet home" was exhibited as part of the Canberra Quilters exhibition. I was glad to see it hanging there.


As part of submitting a quilt into the exhibition, the quilter must perform a volunteer shift. I spent a couple of hours doing white glove duty - to discourage people touching the quilts, and using the white gloves if they wished to see the backs of the quilts. It was a good time for me; a great chance to see the quilts, and watch the reactions of the people looking at the quilts.

I was delighted to see a friend had won a prize, and not at all disappointed to see I hadn't. I'm shooting for 2018.

Once again, I really was not tempted to buy anything at the accompanying craft show. The power of Internet shopping, combined with a fair knowledge of current patterns and classic quilt blocks and a sizable stash of fabric meant I didn't need to shop.

We've also been busy with my Dad coming to visit, long work hours, and I think clutter is about to swallow the house. Maybe this will be the week things start happening.

4 comments:

AJ said...

How lovley to see your quilt hanging! Congrats!

Lynne said...

Hey, Leah! Congratulations on being hung!

Were you at the Show on Saturday? That's when I visited! Your quilt amused me very much - I took a photo to show my DD (I won't be posting any quilt photos - I respect the rights of the quilters and just think it was great that I was allowed to take photos for my own personal use). Anyway, DD has two children under 18 months so washing is definitely a daily activity at her house!

I bought a book and two identical fat quarters but will post about both much later when I have made something from them!

What was I doing in Canberra? I missed the Show in Sydney by spending one day test-driving sewing machines and looking at the quilts; and another working on the Knitters' Guild stand. So, WM and I travelled down on Friday afternoon - he spent Saturday taking photos at the wetlands and visiting the War Memorial; I spent the whole day at the Show!

Michelle said...

I love your quilt so much! Congratulations! Wasn't the show wonderful? I think there were a lot less quilts this year than in past years, but all the quilts showed the true diversity of quilting and I think that was great.

custom research paper said...

very beautiful!