22 Jun 2011

Raining....

Monday evening, I was watching the Weather Channel.  Sitting alone, while my children slept peacefully (finally!!), I became more and more worried.  An approaching cold front, which would be followed by that volcanic ash cloud from South America which has been circling the earth for a while.

Gale force winds, blizzard condition in the ranges, the weatherman told me.  He went on to advise securing all outdoor furniture, and strongly suggested roping down cubby houses and trampolines.

He didn't give any ideas on how to tie down a trampoline - or what to tie it onto (the house?  the fence?)  I considered dashing out into the cold, and doing something involving tent pegs and rope, but didn't.  I decided to let the weather take charge.  This is why I was worried.

In the last six months particularly, we've been seeing the weather as force of destruction.  Floods, cyclones, sweeping people and houses away, changing lives forever.

Tabloid television isn't helping.  I just didn't expect this alarmist kind of reporting on the Weather Channel.


And for the record, it wasn't that bad. Just windy, cold and rainy. Cubby house and trampoline remain where they should be.  Our big gum tree didn't fall on any houses.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Sensationalism sells! and sometimes it's surprising where we find it!