3 Jul 2010

Party day...

Today was Annabelle's birthday party. We held it at a local community centre, and invited all her class, plus family. I don't seem to have any photos without other children's faces, so here's the cake. She loved it.



When I was 5, Mum made me a very similar cake. I still remember that cake.


Lately, I've been reading lots of discussion on parenting forums about over the top birthday parties. Annabelle's would have fit into that category for many of the posters - too many guests, parents who didn't drop and run, too much fussy homemade food ('6' biscuits, decorated gingerbread, individual jellies, jam filled heart biscuits.) I've been thinking about all these viewpoints, and have reached a few conclusions. I'm having the best kind of party for my kids that I can. For Annabelle, this year, it was all about the whole class, many homemade things, and lots of games. It's not about trying to outdo other parents. A few said to me today, jokingly, that I've set the bar too high. But you know, it's not a competition, and I really don't see it that way.

I think it was a great party, and my birthday girl did too. I hope she remembers six fondly.

Here she is on her actual birthday

3 comments:

Bec Clarke said...

OMG that cake is amazing, well done, looks like it was a wonderful party.

Tanya said...

I cracked up reading your post. I have a photo very similar to yours (all those years ago) and I have an 8 year old birthday in our house this week. I have 'so' been trying to suggest the 'dolly varden' cake like you made, but, no she wont be swayed- the 'stove cake' it is (out of the womens weekly kids party cake book)- go figure- why a stove???

Michelle said...

Oh that cake loks wonderful! You party doesn't look over the top at all! It looks fun and friendly and FUN! Oh, I mentioned that. He he. But it's important for a kid's party!