21 May 2010

Bloggers Quilt Festival

The third Bloggers Quilt Festival is underway, thanks to the lovely Amy.

I made this quilt last year for the third annual EB Doll Quilt Swap for Mands. I was very pleased with it's visual impact, and the subtle detailing that becomes apparent when close up.


As I wrote at the time,

My first plan was to make a ploughed field by strip piecing the red fabrics, thicker for up close, and thinner strips for further away to give a sense of perspective. I then freehand cut curves in both to represent slight hills, and pieced with my new curved piecing foot(which worked just like it did in the demonstrations.)

The ploughing effect didn't really work (I think the quilt would have had to be bigger to show this properly.)

Next I attached the sky and started appliqueing. The black lines are meant to represent a barbed wire fence, with the silhouette of a blue wren perched upon it.

I hand quilted the entire quilt quite heavily, with variegated perle 8 threads, and loved the effect their shimmer gave.



I did have grand plans to make a series of quilt similar in inspiration and execution, but somehow these got put on the back burner in the busyness of the festive season.

Maybe this year...


Thanks for visiting, and make sure you visit the other quilts in the festival.

33 comments:

Lynne said...

Occasionally as I browse Flickr and quiltblogs, I come across something that stops me in my tracks and this does - I love it - the simplicity - it's really striking

Kate said...

I like this - would be fantastic on a wall!

Bec Clarke said...

Thanks for your comments over at mine, I have admired yours ever since our swap. It's just beautiful.

Valentina said...

Leah, what a gorgeous quilt! I love everything about it... and your stitching paired with the swirly blue fabric brings our such depth and texture...Inspired!
And thanks for visiting me!
Valentina from Cyprus waving HELLO!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

The contrast in this quilt is really effective! Beautiful!

Julie said...

This is a truly beautiful quilt. And your hand quilting gives it such depth. Thanks for sharing it.

Claire said...

Sometimes I forget how simple a quilt can be,,,,great job!

Carol said...

Mmmmm, mmmmm, good.

two hippos said...

I love the simplicity and the birds. Love birds in quilts! Perhaps it's no coincidence that my word verification word is "croony"!

Angie Padilla said...

This is so, so nice! You really need to make the time to complete a set. It is simple, but so striking. Love it, love it.

Michelle said...

Wow! Your silhouetted bird looks so real perched there.

AnnieO said...

Great contrast and texture! The bird looks ready to sing. Thanks for sharing your quilt's story.

Kate said...

This is really striking. Great work!

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

CUTE!! nice job! great hand work!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow what a wonderful quilt. Love the colors.

Marjorie said...

Amazing! I can't wait to see what comes next.

Mands said...

It is truly beautiful in real life and I do love it so much! Thanks Leah

kwiltmakr said...

Very nice. I love the bird.

Kathy said...

What a striking color combination! I love the idea of the bird silhouette.

Allie said...

This is strikingly simple and extremely effective - just beautiful!

Karen said...

Wonderful quilt. Thanks for sharing the lovliness.

Leslie said...

this is very fun and cute...love that bird

Stephanie said...

I love the simplicity of this quilt, yet it's still quite eye-catching. I LOVE it!

Marie said...

It is so simple but very Beautiful, Thanks for sharing

PatchworkRose said...

Just so love that little bird :-)
Are you still making socks??

Amy - Park City Girl said...

so pretty! I love your handquilting - thanks for sharing :)

Kim said...

So pretty! Fantastic job with the handquilting.

Riel said...

Hi Leah, Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. This quilt festival is so much fun! Your quilt is striking. We are bird lovers in our family, so I especially like it.

debbi d-w said...

Love. . .this. . .design.

Randi said...

What a fabulous design.

SewCalGal said...

Inspirational. Love your quilt.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Aunt Spicy said...

Gorgeous! love the bird!

Sandra said...

what a strong graphic quilt. Can't resist the pun-the bird is out-standing in his field.
Come see my antique quilt entries
http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com
http://starleyquilts.blogspot.com