7 Nov 2009

EB DQS

It's opening day for the third annual EB Doll Quilt Swap. I know my recipient has her quilt, so thought I'd publish, and show off what I made.


My first plan was to make a ploughed field by strip piecing the red fabrics, thicker for up close, and thinner strips for further away to give a sense of perspective. I then freehand cut curves in both to represent slight hills, and pieced with my new curved piecing foot (which worked just like it did in the demonstrations.)

The ploughing effect didn't really work (I think the quilt would have had to be bigger to show this properly.)

Next I attached the sky and started appliqueing. The black lines are meant to represent a barbed wire fence, with the silhouette of a blue wren perched upon it.

I hand quilted the entire quilt quite heavily, with variegated perle 8 threads, and loved the effect their shimmer gave.


I was very happy with this little quilt, and hope Mands likes it too.

7 comments:

Becky said...

That is lovely! The hand quilting looks wonderful and that little bird silhouette is perfect :)

Kylie said...

Yay! I look forward to some wonderful posts in the next few days from the participants since I didn't get organised to be part of it this year! Love the quilt you made - Mands is one lucky girl!

Cascade Lily said...

Gorgeous work Leah. I am loving the silhouette quilts I'm seeing around at the moment and this one is tops!

Nic Wood said...

WOW - This looks fantastic - Im sure your swap partner is thrilled!

Sarah Lou said...

Wow just wow. What a work of ART!

becanne said...

Nice!
The background you chose reminds me of the heat hazes in the middle of a dry summer.
I think this is great.

Mands said...

I absolutely L O V E it!Thanks so much Leah