10 Oct 2009

Quilt Festival

My favourite quilt was made as a round robin swap between my sisters, my Mum and I.

I made the centre block in 1998, and then we each followed instructions from the book "Rounds of Friendship" (by Debbie Herd, now out of print) for the surrounding rounds. At the time, my favourite designer was Debbie Mumm, and my block was made entirely from her dusty, country colours.

At the time we lived far apart, and the quilts clocked up a lot of miles between Wimbledon (UK), two sides of Sydney (Australia) and Nowra (Australia.) Neither of my sisters had a sewing machine, so their rounds were all done by hand.

In 1999, my UK sister was planning a trip home for a holiday, and we sewed like crazy so we'd be able to swap the completed tops in person. We each ended up with a fabulous top, which showed each woman's stitching skills and preferences, all to our own themes.

We then spent a day sandwiching and basting so each person could begin quilting immediately.

In 2001, I finished hand quilting this queen size quilt, and bound it. In 2002, I entered it in the Sydney Royal Easter Show, where it won a second prize (and I nearly burst with pride.)

It's also my favourite because my husband thinks it is terrific.

See more quilts, and read their stories;


19 comments:

Zonnah said...

It is amazing and what a great memory to have.

Kylie said...

What a lovely story. I think it's these special memories, stories and feelings that make a quilt even more wonderful than they look!

Helen said...

WOW Leah, I recognize the centre of this quilt from flickr! A round robin between your mum and sister, this quilt will be treasured. :)

Letterpress said...

Leah, this is an incredibly cool quilt with all the chickens and all (My daughter would love to have one like this). I love the story of the round robins flying back and forth across the world--a true "round" robin. I love that I'm seeing so many Australians this time around on the Blogger Quilt Festival--your neck of the woods has so many talented quilters!

--ELIZABETH E, #115

ParisMaddy said...

Special quilt and memories. My daughter is named Leah and I've always thought it such a pretty name.

Thanks for sharing.

ROZ said...

What a great story! Lovely quilt

Olivia said...

I love that you all worked together on it. We did a quilt for my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary, each family member decorated a square in their own way and Mum combined and quilted them.

AnnieO said...

How special that you all worked on each other's quilts and have all that love and family stitched into each one. Congratulations on your prize! Thanks for sharing, its a wonderful, happy quilt, I could look at it for an hour!

chaletgirl said...

I love the story of this quilt!

shiny4444 said...

Great story, lovely quilt.

Tracey said...

every quilt needs a good story! What lovely memories to associate with yours!

Rene' said...

How fun to make a quilt with your mom and sisters - and being so far away from each other. That just adds to the great story. Beautiful quilt. Congratulations on the award. Thanks for sharing.

Sally said...

O my! I would be bursting with pride if I made that too!!!
It is beautiful and love that has gone into making it is so special.
A treasure.

SewCalGal said...

I love your quilt. Delightful colors & fabrics.

Thanks for sharing and for participating in the Bloggers Quilt Festival.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Kylie said...

This is just the most beautiful story - I loved it! Such a gorgeous quilt and so much love. Thanks for sharing this :) K

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow great quilt! And congratulations on winning second place :-) It's beautiful.

Jocelyn
http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

quiltmom said...

Leah,
What fun you and your sisters had together making your beautiful quilts- they are really lovely- Thanks for sharing.
Warmest regards,
Anna

henny said...

beautiful quilt, Leah!
Have you already knew, you're one of the winner!! Congrat and go now, take a look at Amy's site :)

Carol said...

Wonderful story. The quilt looks lovely.