31 Jul 2008

Summery....



My "Summer Holiday Sunset" quilt for the Four Seasons Quilt Swap is on it's way.

I had mixed feelings about this quilt for several reasons. It was hard to decide on a design, because I don't really like summer. However, being hot and sticky at home, and avoiding the heat of the day, and being concerned about my garden dying is a long stretch from a tropical holiday.

This quilt is really all about the fabric. It's not fancy piecing, or lovely applique. It's just strip pieced, with a little raw edge applique (a technique that I'm enjoying more and more, by the way.) I did do a little dimensional work in this one - the water has layers sewn into it (wish I knew the words for this kind of thing.)

My machine quilting is still not great, but it seems to have worked quite effectively for this piece.

However, I've still sent it on to the recipient in the USA (that's a big clue... if there weren't so many Americans in the swap!) I think it works as a fabric picture, even if it's not a fabbo quilt. So, dear recipient, I hope you enjoy your parcel.

6 comments:

Leanne said...

I love your summer quilt and I soooo love summer.

Helen said...

Leah, its stunning! Says summer to me!

Beth J said...

Wow, what an amazing quilt! You must have so much patience! By the way, I have a little award for you on my blog, a nice fun one :)

hooli said...

It's arrived today! It's amazing and caused me to shake off my summer doldrums (we must have the same feelings about this season) and do a dance of joy. As soon as I saw a peek of the binding through the packaging my heart leapt because I new which quilt it was, and was SO happy.
You are truly an artist. This will be displayed (on permanent holiday) in my home.
Thank You!
Julia

Kate said...

Great quilt!

Soo said...

what a wonderful summery quilt!