4 Nov 2007

Sewing Sunday

I haven't done any sewing lately, but we're attending a birthday party on Tuesday, and needed a gift. So, another crayon roll.


It took me half an hour just to locate my 'pattern', so I thought I'd record it here for my next organisational crisis.

1. Cut strips 1 1/4 x 8 1/2 inches (one per crayon colour)

2. Sew strips together and press. Seam allowance 1/4 inch throughout.

3. Cut 2 rectangles out of feature print 8 1/2 x 11 1/2 inches (note this is the right size for 12 crayons, if more than 12 crayons - 3/4 inch per crayon + 1/2 inch seam allowance.)

4. Fold one rectangle length wise in half (so it now measures 4 1/4 x 11 1/2) and press.

5. Make tab out of feature fabric - cut 1 1/2 x 5 1/2. Sew edges and turn inside out.

6. Assemble layers;
stripes (right side up), then halved rectangle, with tab lined up next to it, then full size rectangle right side down. Sew together, leaving turning space. Turn and topstitch gap closed.

7. Sew down the halved rectangle, between where the crayons will be (follow stripes for guidance.)

8. Attach velcro on tab and body of crayon roll.



This pattern was inspired by many pencil rolls seen all over the crafty internet, like the ones here; here, and here.

It is NOT to be used for profit. Except by me, if I ever get organised!

No comments: