16 Oct 2007

Blog Action Day

Well, actually, it was yesterday, but I still think there's a point.

Blog Action Day for more information.

Today, lots and lots of bloggers are explaining what they are doing to help the environment. Lots of ideas, and achievable ideas too.

The biggest thing we've done for the environment lately is get some chooks. I am embarrassed to say that we produce a lot of food waste (I think it comes with small children), and are happy to be feeding this directly to our chooks. The worm farm simply couldn't keep up.

We're also trying to be more and more waterwise. Short showers and collecting water in a bucket during the shower. I toss up what to do with the collected water - either on the vegies or straight into the washing machine.

Our next project is to get a greywater hose, so we can easily recycle water from the washing machine.

Another thing we've been trying is to no longer use paper towels. I'm not sure if this is a huge success, because the tea towels I've been using instead are heavily impregnated with grease. Our washing detergent is environmentally friendly, and isn't up to the job.

We're also growing vegetables. At this stage we're organic, and I think this will continue.

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

Hi Leah, thanks for some good ideas, I will try the bucket in the shower from now on, especially now the garden is looking like it needs a bit of extra help. Your knitting is looking lovely.
I used to love anything by David Attenbrough too but lately I've been finding most nature documentaries too distressing - maybe it's motherhood making me more anxious about baby animals, and too many sad scenes of stranded polar bears. More reason to do my bit about climate change I guess.