23 Sep 2007

What a day!

I achieved a life time goal today - to see a platypus in the wild. We visited Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve, for a BBQ lunch and play in the adventure playground, and then went for a bushwalk.


Like most amateur platypus photos, it's a shocker, and the closer ones not much better. Oh well.






We also spotted a koala in a tree, but these are not a naturally occurring population, although they do have a very large area over which to roam.



In the 2003 bushfires which engulfed Canberra, Tidbinbilla was thoroughly burnt. The regrowth is flourishing, as can clearly be seen in this photo, with the burnt trees providing a backdrop to the new plants.

The kids and I are spending the week with my parents, so there should be lots of knitting done - I'm hoping to finish my French Market Bag (although I'm still only on the base.)
I've signed up for the Southern Summer of Socks, so come October 1 will be getting stuck into some sock knitting.

3 comments:

Lissa Jane said...

what gorgeous pics.. I just have to let you know Leah.. I 'flashed the stash' well the other half of it on my blog, seeing tho you dared me to do it!


Lissa

Gabrielle said...

We haven't been to Tidbinbilla yet - it sounds like a good place to visit. Very exciting to see a platypus too (although I wouldn't have guessed that's what it was from the photos!)

Bells said...

that is so great! I would love to see one and ALMOST have a few times in the wild. It's great that you got to!

Oh and welcome to SSS!