10 Jun 2007

Firecracker weekend and baby names

In the ACT, firecrackers are legal for use over the Queen's Birthday long weekend. Since we now live here, we felt obliged to join in this ridiculously loud and dangerous waste of money. What fun! I tried to take pictures, but they're all shocking. We'll be setting some more off tonight.

Kate answered a new meme, and I think I will too;

Give the meaning of your kids’ names, and write about what or how or why you gave the name to your kids. Tag five people to play along and leave a comment at their blog to let them know they have been tagged.

Lucas - meaning 'bringer of light'.

We each went through the baby names book, and made a list of names we liked, for both boys and girls. Then together, we compared lists, and made a shortlist of any overlap, and names we liked. This was at about 30 weeks, and we just left it at this stage. When I was hospitalised at 33 weeks, we took out the shortlist, and made a decision. Dh thinks Lucas is named after his grandmother-like ex-neighbour, and I let him think this.

Annabelle- graceful, beautiful.

This pregnancy we found out at about 28 weeks that we were having a girl. We wanted a 'girly', pretty name, which would still work or an adult, and Annabelle was just irresistible. It also has family connotations, as my sister is Isabell, and my grandmother Isabella. Again, we pursued the shortlist system, and decided shortly before the birth was induced at 36 weeks.

Nalani - calmness of the heavens

When we found out at 22 weeks that our babe could not survive, we read through the baby names book looking for the perfect name for an Angel. I think we found it.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Thanks for sharing I love the names you chose and their meanings.