3 Nov 2006

Elephants!

The long awaited Asian elephants arrived at Taronga Zoo yesterday. They were on exhibit for the first time today, so we were there to see them. Unfortunately, it was raining, but it was still a special time.



The kids and I were next to the Channel Nine TV crew as they were filming their story - a minor brush with fame in the shape of Peter Harvey.

I didn't think the elephants looked settled at all - they were bunched tightly together, and moving fast, trunks searching the air. They went around the grassed area, over to the dirt pit, where they threw dirt over their backs, and then over to the swimming area, and then repeat. Apparently they had been repeating this all morning. However, it is early days yet, and I'm sure they'll feel more at home given time to adjust.

In worse news, I still feel shocking. This flu thing is really knocking me around. It's worse because my nose bleeds every time I blow it, which is pretty often. I'm also bone-tired, this zoo trip was the first time we've left the house since Monday.

Tomorrow, we're supposed to be going to Canberra again, this time staying overnight in my sister-in-law's house. All well and good, except her children (same ages as ours) don't go to bed till 9 or so, whereas mine are 7pm definites. Hope we do all right. Then on Sunday, we're going to stay with my parents. I'll probably stay the entire week - DH is away with work, and I could use a break. We'll go to the beach, and play outside lots.

No comments: